Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Teaching Philosophy


Brian Caravana Teaching Philosophy

                 The golf swing is one of the most discussed and analyzed athletic motions in the world of sports. Any instructor or student of the game has a preconceived idea of how the club should be swung whether it’s right or wrong. The question is which teaching method or philosophy is the correct one. Is there a standard teaching method that all golf instructors should follow or does the teaching method revolves around one’s capabilities and their body type. Every instructor has their own preferences and styles that they use when teaching their students. Golf instruction is the teaching and learning of the game of golf. A good golf instructor needs to have a solid understanding and knowledge of golf instruction including the laws and fundamentals preferences of the golf swing. Teaching philosophy’s are different from instructors to instructor on how the golf swing should be taught. As an instructor myself, my teaching philosophy is that every student should be given a lesson differently based on their body and swing type. I believe we as instructors need to build a student’s golf swing around one’s body and swing type, while taking into one’s personal physical limitations and disabilities. I believe there are three types of body types that instructors need to classify their student in. Those three body types are mesomorph, endomorph, and ectomorph. Leverage players are considered mesomorph, endomorph are width player, while ectomorph are arc players.

            Before I start any lesson, I interview every student by asking them a few questions. I ask them what they are looking to get out of this lesson? Do you have any physical limitations or medical issues? Have you played golf before? Have you taken any lessons before? And do you plan on playing competitive or recreational golf? These are just a few of the questions I will ask all my students before each lesson. If I'm giving a lesson to a beginner golfer, I will sometimes not even use a golf club during the first lesson; instead I will work on their grip and setup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment